How Long Should the Podcast Be?

TimWe’ve gotten lots of comments this week saying the podcast is too short. Ray and I have always tried to make it short because we feel most podcasts are too long. But maybe we’re off, maybe you like the sound of our voices more than we do! Here’s your chance to set us straight once and for all. Please vote in the poll if you have listened to our podcast in the past and have an opinion as to how long it should be. Also, feel free to leave comments below giving suggestions for more segments or topic ideas (if we make it longer, we’ll need more to talk about!).

{democracy:10}

1. dr. game says:

thank you so much 45 min is exsactly what I was thinking i was thinking I wold treten you with spam if you did’ent lisen but you did and tha’t cool and I just got done with ep 12 and herd what you said about coimc talk senie you did’ent have it this week did you finaly deside to do away with it if so that’s a shame becuse i like it also i’ve always though the point of the podcast was to make the site have more content about gameing you have the great comic and all but it’s not about gaming so I though that was the point of the podcats also you don’t need more to talk about you just need to say all of wats on your mind becuse i can tell you have more to say you just limit yourselfs

2. dr. game says:

sorry about the spelling and the coicms are about gameing i just typed arent by adedent what i ment was there jokes about games wich are grate but i though more game related stff and i got frest comment!!!!!!!!!!

3. Arlen says:

Podcasts should be like skirts—long enough to cover what’s important, but short enough to be interesting.

I very much enjoy your podcast, and I don’t want to imply that I want to hear less from you, but I think your original aim of a 20-30 minute podcast was right on the mark. That’s plenty of time for all of your consistent segments as well as some time for pithy commentary on the state of video games—which happens to be exactly what I’m after.

4. Tom says:

dump the podcast! I can read faster than most people would speak, so podcasts are just a waste of time: i just read articles on gaming sites rather than sit through a 30 minute podcast.

post more comics instead!

5. I have to say that I recently got into your podcast and fell in love with it. I like the idea of having a podcast go from 30 – 45 minutes. Short and sweet is for something like newslines. But, with what you guys both go over I, personally, like to hear the details. When its short, it feels as if the details are being skimmed and we, the listeners, aren’t getting it all.

Thanks for all your great work!

6. Baka says:

I really think the current podcast formula is great. Its unique from most others, not insanely long (like the one Lwelyk and I did, which spanned over an hour and a half); the content ties into the comic and blog posts, which gives the site a feeling of unity and fleshes out the site. You guys are very interesting, funny, and provide insights and comments on recent things in the world of gaming that I want to listen too. I will say that a slightly expanded timeframe would be very appreciated, so I voted 45 minutes, but really I think the time can be fairly inconsistent, depending on how much you guys want to talk that week.

7. Metal_Link says:

I like 20. I don’t have the attention span for anything past 30… Hence I don’t listen to Matt Cassamanassawassima and Mark Bozon on IGN with their lack of background music and overall funniness.

8. Rabbit says:

You know, I thought about this and I really do think that you guys should do it as long as you have content for. If one week you only have enough time to devote/content for a 15 min episode then leave it at 15 mins. If one day they announce 4 new consoles and halo 4, a new sonic game and stuff, then let it be 60 mins+. I think as long and you guys have something to talk about, then keep it up. I don’t think you will lose any viewers (errr… listeners) for being too long or short. Just keep it at what you think it should be. If you think your rambling, then you prolly are, but otherwise your good. (If not then I’m sure everyone will tell you :P)

9. Ray says:

Bingo! I couldn’t agree more.

10. Kip says:

The few people who are unhappy are going to be the ones complaining, but the people who like it the way it is usually aren’t going to say anything. So it might seem like more people dislike the current format, compared to the number that actually do. I like the fact that you guys don’t go on for three hours like, say, the 1up Yours podcast.

11. Gerias says:

I love the comic & the podcast, firstly ^_^

I think a 20-40 minute aim would be the best. An audience can’t stand more than 45 minutes of anything, no matter how awesome it is. And this is awesome-sauce stuff you guys have going on, for real real.

Don’t worry about it too much, though. The comic is the focus and if one week you guys can’t come up with podcast content, fuhgedabouit!

Don’t stress yourselves out but you’ve got a true fan in old Gerias!
    (not to be confused with Old Greg…)

12. lwelyk says:

Just go with whatever you can. Don’t force it into being a 2 hour affair. Just keep it between 20-60 minutes.

13. Daniel says:

I agree with Rabbit. I don’t think you should force the podcast to be a specific length just for the sake of it being a specific length. If you have lots to talk about, then it goes longer. If you don’t, it doesn’t. I don’t think it has to be set that the 2p Start Live podcast be x minutes exactly.

That being said, I personally prefer the longer ones to the shorter ones.

If I can make a somewhat related suggestion, too, lately it seems that you’ve been talking over the end of the intro sequence (and in this past podcast, it seemed to just abruptly be cut off). Let it play in its entirety before starting the talking 🙂

14. dj75728 says:

Do what feels natural, I didn’t voet becuse I think ya’ll should just talk according to content. And that’s that :mrgreen: . But I do like longer ones since I listen to them at work.

15. Andrew says:

2 Min, intro and “Trivia for You”
    5 Min, “Comic Talk”
    3 Min, “Suggestion Box”
    5 Min, “Topic of the Week”
    5 Min, “Black Doom Award”
    1 Min, final music and “Last Words with Ray and Tim”

Ideally, between “Topic of the Week” and “Black Doom Award” their would also be the “Chaos Emerald” segment. This would be a game play element theoretically related to either the topic of the week or the previous comic, perhaps pertaining to classic game from over a year ago. Approximately 2-5 min, depending on how sidetracked Ray gets with discussion of the game as a whole. It could be a tip for the user, or just something you liked in the game (examples, “In SSBB, take your opponent and rape them into the death zone.” or “DK Jungle Beat was awesome for its integration of music and game play, like a fun version of electroplankton.”)

16. Rioluke says:

Time 30 or longer please. The longer the better.
    Rabbit has a good point.

17. vincecult says:

listening to your podcast helps me get things done. most especially cleaning my room. im the kind of person who always hasto be multitasking. and if i watch tv while i clean my room, i get distracted by the watching and dont clean, and if i listen to music while i clean i get bored. your podcast is interesting enough that it keeps me interested without having to look up at my tv. if all i hafta to is listen, longer podcast means more time being productive for me.

18. Rioluke says:

But I do like longer ones since I listen to them at work.

lol where do you work?

19. I agree that the podcast should be as short or as long as the content warrants. BUT… I think 15 minutes is too short and more than an hour is probably too long. So 30-45 is minutes the optimal length window IMO.

Suggestions for more segments? Would like to hear more about Virtual Console titles, personally. Or maybe a regularly occurring guest spot… 😉

20. dj75728 says:

I agree with ‘vincecult’, that’s why I wait to listen to it at work.

@Rioluke: I work in a place, actually, a building :mrgreen: . For real though, I work in Downtown Houston for Shell(gasoline). And please, no questions about gas[prices], I’m an intern and know nothing.