Tim-Approved: ‘Scurge: Hive’ for DS/GBA

SH

TimI had been meaning to get Scurge: Hive for some time now as I heard it was a bit like Metroid. I’ve been needing a quality DS game and when I saw it at Target for $7 on clearance, I didn’t hesitate to snatch it up. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the game in the couple hours I’ve put into it and just thought I’d pass this info along because I know our readers are Metroid fans. Honestly, I was a little shocked just how similar this is to Metroid. Female bounty hunter? Check. Upgradable arm cannon? Check. Aliens everywhere? Check. Meta Ridley? Well, no, but there is definitely a Mother Brain-looking thing in a cylindrical glass case.

This isn’t just a cheap Metroid rip-off, though. It’s got great production value, great visuals (especially the GBA version considering the hardware), and a musical score that really helps keep you engrossed in the game. The gameplay is unlike Metroid as it takes on the sometimes awkward isometric angle, but I got used to this rather quickly and find that it doesn’t detract too much from the game. The game always keeps a sense of urgency about it because you have been infected by the aliens and once the infection reaches 100%, you start losing health quickly. Your infection level is always increasing, even if you’re not getting hit, so it’s imperative to keep moving to get to the next recharge station. The game provides a nice challenge even on ‘Normal’ difficulty (there’s ‘Hard’ and ‘Insane’ as well).

I’m not all that far into the game yet, but so far it’s definitely worth the $7 I spent. It can be found on Amazon for $10 new, and less than that used. IGN actually recommends the GBA version because the DS doesn’t really add anything new besides having the map on the touchscreen, so either version you track down should be good. I think it’s deserving of a higher MetaCritic score than it’s gotten (even IGN’s 7.0/10 admits “A fantastic game, there’s no question about it”), but if anyone has played this game or plans to pick it up, let me know what you think!

Ew. I really hated that part in Corruption, so I dunno about this now. How Metroid-y is it? I mean I’m pretty accepting of some changes, but is the getting upgrades to reach new areas still there?

2. Tacos says:

I always see this in Target and Best Buy for $10 and I’ve always been meaning to look at the reviews, but I forget everytime. Now I know next time I see it to pick it up if its still at that amazing price. Thank you!

Oh… Got my hopes up for nothing Tim. Anyway, I’ll definitely pick this up if I ever see it. Thanks for the info!

4. Actually playing through Metroid Fusion right now.

I have to say, you have me curious. I might check out the GBA version sometime.

Actually playing through Metroid Fusion right now.
    I have to say, you have me curious. I might check out the GBA version sometime.

See? We got you hooked on Metroid huh? Yeah, it happened to me too. Thank you Nintendo Power for giving Corruption a ten. XD

But I’m still a bit skeptical about this game.

6. Tacos says:

How skeptical can you be over a 10$ game? I mean, thats a steal if its above a 6.0 quality if you ask me.

Price point usually isn’t the deciding factor when I buy games. If it’s good I’ll get it, if it’s not I won’t. I don’t want a bad game whether it ten dollars or not, but yeah, if I find the game after Christmas when I actually have money, then I may pick it up, but I’m definitely not going to go looking for it.

8. Tim says:

roadjcat, I’m surprised that a Metroid fan such as yourself doesn’t seem all that interested in this game. I’ll post an update when I beat the game and let you know if it’s really worth it.

9. $4.99 at GameStop (GBA or DS) but only if you can find one in-store… for anyone that may not have already done that same search.

Haha! My Gamestop has one new for the DS for $10! I would rather get the GBA version, but isn’t it essentially the same thing?

11. Tim says:

Yes, the game is the same, the graphics are basically the same as well.

Yeah, well believe it or not, I’m pretty attached to the Metroid universe and since this obviously is not set in the Metroid universe, it’s already lost a lot of it’s charm, IMO.

13. Kyzin says:

How does a non-metroid game that is slightly metroidy lose it’s charm by not being a metroid game? It would be like saying Fallout Three sucks because it’s not Metroid.

How is Fallout 3 Metroidy?

No Tim is saying that I should like it because it’s Metroid-y, but I’m saying that I like Metroid because of the Metroid aspects of the game, like Samus, the Space Pirates, and the Metroids, which this game lacks.