Play Oregon Trail Online – Die of Dysentery

TimIn honor of our comic this week, I thought I’d point you to a site where you can play the original version of Oregon Trail online for free! I’m going to assume it’s all legal since it hasn’t been taken down, so go crazy, make those buffalo extinct, try to ford the Mississippi, and watch your family die of cholera and dysentery! It’s seems to have a few bugs with the color, but it was still playable for me.

1. Tacos says:

Awesome. Buffalo hunting is the best mini game ever!!

2. moonjuice7 says:

Second! just though I’d say it. I’ll go try this out.

3. Noodle says:

Thanks, now I can learn how to play this 😀

billtodamax if you read this: where in australia are you?

4. Noodle says:

:\ It’s not working for me. And hey the edit feature isn’t here.

5. steve-ohs says:

Sweet, just beat it. And noone died!!
    which is sad, I wanted someone to die of dysentry

6. Sweet, just beat it. And noone died!!
    which is sad, I wanted someone to die of dysentry

You’re not trying hard enough =]

Ugh. I don’t have fond memories of this game…I’d rather play Castle Crashers. XD

8. CKcheeseboy says:

I’m not so sure that it’s legal, because there was an “Oregon Trail” app on Facebook that got turned into “Northwest Trail” because of copyright stuff. That might be different legally, though, because the copyright might still apply, while the original game is so old it’s “public domain” now or something (like how you can find Pac-Man online a lot of places). I guess while it’s there, though, it’d be fine to play.

9. D3vin says:

hmmm… here’s how my first play went:
    Tim died from a broken leg
    Ray died of disentery
    Roadjcat also died of disentary,
    Tacos and I made it to Oregon…

I win (kinda) I should have bought more food though, we ran out before the first stop, thank goodness I got enough ammo to last us most of the rest of the way.

Man, that was fun. First we lost Dj75728 to desentry, and then Ray followed shortly after to the same fate. Once I made it to the end, I decided to float down the Columbia River while listening to Living on a Prayer for inspiration. The end was in sight! We were almost there! And then Tim drowned. 🙁 At least me and Kyzin made it.

Anyway, that game made my speakers all wonky for a bit. And it turns out that I had played a different Oregon Trail back in school. The one I played was the 1992 version, which is the same basic concept, just a bit newer. Here’s a video of it. Not to mention the guy gives a pretty good explanation of the game. 😀 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht8GWOwdc30

Roadjcat also died of disentary,

Should I be happy that you used me, or mad that I died? XD

12. D3vin says:

Roadjcat also died of disentary,

Should I be happy that you used me, or mad that I died? XD

um… Happy?
    Hey, You didn’t die in vain. I made it and started a new life in Oregon, Your ghost should be proud of Me (and to a lesser extent, Tacos)!!!

13. billtodamax says:

I’m in Canberra Noodle. Also, I’m kinda angry that I don’t have like any game playing software on this computer aside from flash. (and it’s flash 9 D:) so yeah, I can’t play this.

14. billtodamax says:

I was gonna do this in a edit but, the edit function’s gone, so…
    Should I be unhappy that no one used me, or glad that I didn’t die of dysentery. (it’s spelled with a Y D3vin)

15. CKcheeseboy says:

And it turns out that I had played a different Oregon Trail back in school. The one I played was the 1992 version, which is the same basic concept, just a bit newer. Here’s a video of it. Not to mention the guy gives a pretty good explanation of the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht8GWOwdc30

That looks like the version I played, too.

16. Dominator_101 says:

Man, that was fun. I’m sorry, but Tim… You drowned… And Ray, you died of a broken leg… Somehow… At least its better than dieing from exhaustion like one of my people did. And CK died of a snake bite after one day… I was the only one who made it 🙁

17. Tim says:

18. D3vin says:

It is like eating your Pet when it dies, You just can’t. The electronic people inside the game thought the electronic Oxen were almost like family after a while so they buried it instead or flushed it down the electronic computer toilet or whatever you do with a dead electronic Ox ….

I was gonna do this in a edit but, the edit function’s gone, so…

Neither, That just means you aren’t as big of a 2p Starter than the other people whose names got used. And I spelled it in phonetics, Even though it was right there in front of me as the webpage’s title…:(

19. I just finished my first go at it and no one died! Ray broke an arm, but that’s because he was whining about the food rations. What I didn’t get was that after an oxen died, my food supply didn’t go up. We could have eaten hamburgers all the way to Oregon!

I dunno…. oxen that die of dysentery probably aren’t very tasty ;p

20. billtodamax says:

and it’s probably contagious…

21. RedVinnie says:

its excellent, but as im using a mac, i cant figure out how to change disks….

22. TheK3vin says:

23. RedVinnie says:

ok, on my first run thru, here are the results in detail.
    RedVinnie: Snakebite, Measles, Dead
    Ray: Broken Leg, Death by Dysentary(yay, death by dysentary, nothing personal ray….)
    RoadJCat: Typhoid, Cholera, Dead
    D3vin: Cholera, Dead
    Tim: Measles, Dead
    im attempting another (hopefully successful this time…) run thru now.

24. D3vin says:

ok, on my first run thru, here are the results in detail.

D3vin: Cholera, Dead

im attempting another (hopefully successful this time…) run thru now.

Not in cruelty
    Not in wrath
    The REAPER came today
    An ANGEL visited
    this gray path
    And took the Cube D3vin away.

Too bad there wasn’t enough text to write that as my epitaph, so I just wrote instead “still alive”

“Hey, it’s your funeral!” works on so many levels here 😉

25. CKcheeseboy says:

Well, my last comment didn’t show up (probably because of a bunch of links and it’s awaiting moderation), but in the mean time, you can check out some screenshots of my trek here:

26. Hell. Yes. First try I got myself, Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, AND Pikachu to Oregon in fair health. Grand total of 4288 points.

Hey! I actually know those Pokemon!

Hey! I actually know those Pokemon!

So you don’t know all the Pokemon? That should be remedied…now. XD

28. RedVinnie says:

RJC, your gravatar=win.

29. RedVinnie says:

RJC, your gravatar=win.

RJC, your gravatar=win.

XD Really? I just took a pic of the Alien from Castle Crashers (since I’ve been playing both games) and stuck it on there. Is it awesome because of Alien Hominid or Castle Crashers or…what?

31. RedVinnie says:

RJC, your gravatar=win.

both

32. ApocalypticRage says:

Alright…first time playing. Heres my results in order to what happened

Ty Broke a Leg
    May Broke an Arm
    Thomas Has Measles
    A Theif steals 4 oxen over night (Aw damn…)
    Ty has Cholera (Oh hell no…Yep he’s dead…)
    Jill Has a Fever, and Ty isnt dead…wow

Jill (Drowned)
    May (Drowned)
    Ty (Drowned)
    (HOLY FU–)
    Theif steals 75 lbs of food
    Jace (Me) Breaks an Arm
    Jace (Me) Has Cholera (Dear God I’m gonna die!)
    I break a wheel and have no replacement, so i trade for about 10 mins.
    It was hard…depressing…but I make it…im the only survivor with a final score of 543. Well…I didnt die of Dysentry…but its better than nothin right?